Interview with the Dragon Goddess - Part 10: Humans and Magic

Back to Interview Index
Previous - Part 9: Oceankeep and Glimmerstorm

(Draft 1)

- With the improvements in science and technology, did humans forget how to use magic?

Draxenath shook her head. - Humans never had any magic, that is part of the punishment imposed on Amaxis. That is the reason humans created technology and artificial means to harness magic, they need to use materials already infused with it.

- But I have seen a few humans use magic on their own! For example, the fair-skinned humans from Draconia. - I said. She looked at me with condescendence. - Those are not entirely human, they descend from the House of Athaldar, as you already know.

She evidently knew the details in depth, so I could not help to ask. - Not entirely human? But Athaldar was human! How did his descendants obtain magical power?

- There are ways for magical races to interbreed, even with humans. There are also cases of humans forcefully breeding with other races to have magic-wielding offsprings, with varying degrees of success. Back to the subject of Athaldar, you have certainly read about him, but do you know anything about his wife?

I tried to think, but I really knew nothing about her. Draxenath continued. - Her name was Wallanime Draconia, she was a dragoness that magically changed her shape, allowing her to give him children. That's where the city's name comes from. Are there no historical records about her?

- Not readily available, none that I am aware of. - I replied. She seemed upset. - I see... most of the important women and dragons have been erased from history, it does not surprise me. She was one of my most faithful servants and a very bloodthirsty one. She was well known for her craving for human blood and meat, no other kind would satisfy her. Humans feared and respected her, the other races worshipped her.

- I can see why humans feared and respected her. - I said. Draxenath chuckled. - Oh, you have no idea, she would eat human women, take their shape, mate with their husband or significant other, then eat them! That is where most of the original Draconians came from.

I was horrified at the thought of such murderous wantonness. - And Athaldar allowed her to get away with all of that?! - Draxenath was very entertained. - At the time they first met, she was naked, rolling over the pond of blood from Athaldar's original wife, she had just taken her form after eating her. He was furious as he quickly figured out what just happened. He swore to kill her, and almost did! After an arduous fight, Athaldar managed to defeat her. When he was about to give her the killing blow, she begged for mercy and promised to submit to him and give him strong and healthy children. He was not willing to spare her life at first, but she invoked me and swore under my name. That was enough for him. She was allowed to eat humans only on the battlefield, and she would also have rights over criminals sentenced to death.

- Athaldar's courage must have had no bounds! Wasn't he afraid she could eat him? - I exclaimed. Draxenath gave me that condescending look again. - She swore under my name, had she broken her oath, I would have killed her myself! Never swear under my name unless you plan to keep that promise! But that was not all, with time they grew on each other. By the time I left, they were deeply in love.

- I understand. What happened to her after Athaldar's death? - I asked. - I don't know, - she answered. - I left well before Athaldar's death. Wallanime's oath expired with his death, so if she was still alive I would assume she grieved for a few years and then went back to her old ways. Given the length of a dragon's life cycle, she might still live today. If that's the case, I wonder if she hates me for not answering her prayers for so long...

- She owes you her life, she might be waiting for your return if she is still around. - I said, not sure if that would comfort her, but that thought sure made me feel uncomfortable. She remained thoughtful for a couple minutes.

-- Thanks to Nick Cold for submitting the question. We are still open for more questions to be submitted by readers. --

Next - Part 11: The Three Siblings
Back to Interview Index

Comments